No extra time on site

June 24, 2008 10:23 PM
By Brentwood Gazette reporter in Brentwood Gazette

Developers of the former NV tools site on St James's Road, Brentwood, will not be allowed more time to complete their over-running building works.

Families began moving on to the residential side of the development in December last year, and the original planning application said developers Wimpey would have just 18 months to complete the office block on the same site.

But Wimpey said it has lost its development partners due to the economic downturn, and asked Brentwood council's planning committee for a further 30 months - two and a half years - to complete the site, promising to landscape it to reduce the visual impact in the meantime.

However, the application provoked angry reaction from the councillors in defence of the families already moved on to the site, and it was eventually refused.

Ward councillor Karen Chilvers branded the application "totally unfair", while planning committee chair Cllr Frank Kenny said it was "unacceptable".