Joy as block of flats plan gets thumbs down

January 23, 2009 10:44 AM
By Brentwood Weekly News reporter in Brentwood Weekly News
Ross Carter, candidate for Brentwood North

Cllr Ross Carter

A CONTROVERSIAL scheme to build a three-storey block of flats has been thrown out by the Government.

The plans to develop an apartment block of 12 two-bedroom flats on green land to the rear of three homes in Park Road, Brentwood, were dismissed by the Planning Inspectorate.

Brentwood Council had already rejected the application, last year, because of the size, scale and mass of the proposed build, but the developer decided to take the decision to appeal.

However, after a public hearing attended by a number of residents from Park Road and nearby Mayfield Gardens, who raised concerns over site, Margaret Jones, the Government inspector, turned down the appeal.

In the appeal decision she said the main reason for refusal was the effect of the development on the "character and appearance of the surrounding area".

She added: "I find that the proposed development would represent a visually intrusive and over-dominant feature in the street scene."

The decision was met with joy by residents and councillors who had protested against the development.

Lib Dem borough councillor Ross Carter said: "We are delighted that the voices of Park Road and Mayfield Gardens residents have been heard by the appeal committee "The burden on the local environment was unacceptable to both councillors and residents alike."