What are the Lib Dems doing in government?
January 29, 2012 8:00 AM
Here are just six examples of the effect Liberal Democrat MPs are having in government:
- Lifting a million of the poorest workers out of tax and cutting taxes: not for the rich but for 23 million basic rate taxpayers;
- Making the well off pay their share by raising Capital Gains Tax; a new £10bn bank levy and keeping the 50p top rate of tax;
- The most generous rise in the state pension for a generation;
- A revolution in the way we support the children who need help the most when it matters the most, in the crucial early years and throughout their school lives;
- More apprenticeships than Britain has ever had before;
- And from this April, the Youth Contract, an ambitious £1bn programme to make sure every 18 to 24-year-old has the opportunity to earn or learn.
There's no coalition in Brentwood, the Lib Dems are the main opposition to the Tory machine, but wherever we are we are making a difference and holding the Tories to account.